Wednesday, November 2

My Religious Life Thus Far

I am a 34 year old married Reporting Analyst from Dallas, TX. I have suddenly been smacked over the head with the desire to find God. So far, no luck. But I'm trying really darn hard.

I was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also known as the Mormons or the LDS church. I was LDS until I was about 21. Although I had not put a whole lot of thought into it, I was pretty certain it was true. Then, long story short, I got a hold of some "anti" literature, read anti literature like a fiend, and became "inactive" in the church.

After my inactivity in the church, I started going to the Catholic church and attending RCIA classes. I never had any formal initiation into the church, nor did I go to classes for very long. But I knew I was drawn to the Catholic church.

For whatever reason, I can't remember what (it probably involved my social life), I stopped going. I got out of college, and dabbled in Wicca for about a year or so. While I never joined a coven, I read like crazy about it. I also attended a Unitarian Universalist church for a while.

When I hit 27, I decided to give the Mormon church one more try. Just one. I went to a singles ward, paid tithing, prayed constantly and fervently, held callings, and even went through the temple to receive my endowments. This is a very serious commitment for any Mormon to take. I did this for three years and - nothing. No validation of God, or of Christ, or of the truth of the church.

Soon after my final bout of inactivity, around 2001, I met my husband. We dated, we got married. He's a baptized Catholic, but never went to church, and was only baptized to appease his grandparents on his mother's side. As a couple, we've only attended church maybe a dozen times, to my parent's Mormon church, to a local Mormon church (during a time of extreme crisis), and to a couple of Catholic weddings. We did try to go to a Unitarian church, but that didn't work at all either.

Over the past year or so, I've been doing a fairly active search on religions. I've researched Buddhism, which I still like theoretically. But I thought I'd try going to the little Catholic church down the street from where I live first.

This is how my story begins. I'll blog about my journey, my thoughts and my actions in this blog. Thanks for listening.

1 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Exchanging one crazy church for another (or several, as the case may be) isn't the answer. The answers you seek are within--you won't find them in another church. Unless you like the dog and pony show. Then have at it.

It's been my experience that God doesn't feel the need to validate anything, so you're going to have a long wait if you're hoping for that.

If you don't mind, I'll just browse the rest of your blog and see how you made out...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home