Saturday, July 22

Hot in herre

Hello all! So answer your questions yes, I am still Catholic. :) I've been attending the Tridentine Mass for about a month now. I'm still leaning towards going there. The only problem that I have with the experience is that it's in a beautiful but tiny little chapel. I usually get there before 9a for the 9:30a service. The rosary starts at 9a, and every pew is full by the second decade every week. Then people start squeezing in, and then men start giving up their seats to women, so the chapel is lined with men. It's crazy how packed that little chapel gets.

It seems like each pew has already been "claimed" by a family who sits there every week. And there's maybe 24 pews total that seat 4 adults each. The first few Sundays I ended up sitting on the same pew as a family of 5 (one baby), which was pretty tight but not too bad. Last week I ventured out a bit and moved over to another aisle, only to be told that the choir sits there. I thought I had sat up enough not to be in the choir seats, but I was mistaken. I don't know where I can claim "my" seat in that chapel.

And apparently it's hard to keep the place cool when it's packed to the gills with people. Last Sunday it was over 90 degrees outside when church started. As soon as I walked into the church, I felt the heavy, hot air surround me. And it got progressively worse as the place started to fill up. Men in formal shirts had huge sweat stains, and babies were pink from the heat, their little hair matted up from the sweat. It was very old school.

It's uncomfortable enough being crowded in a cool building, but to be packed in like sardines in a hot chapel was almost more than I could bear. I offered it up the best I could.

Now, I'll endure sweltering heat and awkward seating situations to be able to worship in such a sacred and spiritual environment. But I don't want to feel self-conscious while I'm there because I'm afraid I'm sitting in someone else's seat or that I'm crowding a family who has always sat in the same pew.

10 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Noli said...

Does Mrs. Pilgrim's choir still sing there?

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Fidei Defensor said...

WATCH THE COLBERT REPORT TONIGHT!

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger DB said...

I watched it last night, with William Donovan, and it was quite entertaining! I think I'll watch it again on the rerun at 7:30p CST. :)

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger DB said...

Noli:

I'm not sure. I haven't actually met anyone at the church yet. They don't really have any social activities. I'll keep this post in mind, though, and when I start meeting people I'll ask. It's a really great choir, though, lots of beautiful music.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Gunner said...

I linked to this post in this weeks Carnival of the Veil.

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps you could suggest they add another Mass to thier schedule?

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger DB said...

Unfortunately, there's only one FSSP priest in this region, and he already does one High mass and one Low mass each Sunday. Plus every other Sunday, he does a Mass in Fort Worth. He's a busy man. Maybe we'll get another FSSP priest soon and he can do another Mass. I've been praying hard for more opportunities for people in Dallas to attend an orthodox Latin Mass (either Tridentine or Latin Novus Ordo). I hope it comes to fuition with the new Dallas bishop we get once Grahmann retires.

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pew problem could be solved by getting rid of them. They're a protestant invention. Many Orthodox churches don't have them, and if you look at the Vatican and other old churches in Europe, like Notre Dame in Paris: not a pew to be found. :-)

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger David L Alexander said...

If you ever have a problem finding a seat in church, that's what ushers are for. Somebody disses you because you've got "their" seat, let them know.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Imagine how they must have felt in the desert all those years... but at least it was a "dry heat!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home