Friday, November 4

Catholic Blogs (aka "The religion is great, but the people ...

Out of solidarity for my fellow bloggers who might be Catholic, I decided to seek some of them out and see what they had to say. I was very saddened by what I found. I like looking at the religion sites, talking about the love of God and Christ, and the beauty of the eucharist and liturgy, and the tradition of the 2000 year old church. But when I go to Catholic blogs, all they talk about is homosexuality and abortion and super conservative rants.

I can understand why they would believe that both of those things could be a sin (although I don't necessarily agree with it). But it's sad that so many people worry about the speck that is in their neighbor's eye without taking into consideration the beam in their own eye. I know I'm not perfect, but I don't see the need to be pointing out the imperfection in others and not worrying about my own problems.

Yes, we are taught to teach others the way of Christ, and to teach them good from bad and whatnot. I also remember a part about judge not lest ye be judged. But these Catholic blogs just don't seem to understand that part.

I imagine it's hard to talk about the lessons learned in everyday life, and it's much easier to talk about their happiness of the new SCOTUS nominee (who is Catholic) or the new Homosexuality laws on the book.

But what attracts me to the Catholic religion is the simplicity and the fact that they talk about Jesus and God, and the fact that the church is in pretty much the same form as it has been for many many years (Vatican II not withstanding). I love the tradition and the unity of the members during Mass.

But if this is the attitude of most Catholics, I'm going to have to be a rather solitary worshipper.

2 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting to me, and I hope that my note will come across with charity.
First, I hope you do not become a solitary worshipper, because you love the UNITY in the Church.
We all sin. We all have problems, bad habits--even planks and huge beems! in our eyes. Even striving to become saints, we have these, and some of us are blind to our own. Thank God for his mercy and forgiveness!
However, there are certain things we can agree on as Catholic Christians. You say you don't necessariy agree, but it IS part of the unity of our Church. One of those things is the commandment "Thou shalt not kill". So, even though we do sin, and we all have problems we need Grace to overcome, we recognise great evils in the world, the greatest of which is the killing of innocent children. (Mother Theresa said that there is NO greater evil than the killing of unborn children.)

Now this is a loose analagy, but if your husband had a girlfriend on the side, and you pointed it out, (in hurt and anger, no doubt?)would it be acceptable for him to turn and say that you shouldn't point out his sin as long as you are still leaving your clothes on the floor? There are some things that though annoying, wrong, and maybe even sinful, but are not intrinsically evil, while other things are.
As for other bloggers, I can't speak for them, but I do know people that are in a place in their faith journey who are DEEPLY convicted to fight against the forces of evil in our world today. They are the 'John the Baptists' of our time-- called to admonish the sinner and sometimes quite loudly. Others are called to contemplate and pray quietly that the peace and love of Jesus Christ will penetrate the hearts of all and HIS truth be known.
In HIM

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Vajra said...

I just stumbled on your blog today. I'm reading forward so as to get to know you. The attitude you mentioned is not emblematic of most Catholics, just the ones with the biggest megaphone. I think it's important to remember that many of our greatest saints, those whose witness we still admire and who are more than a name on the calendar, were those who served others, and not those who scolded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home