Thursday, May 4

Controversy

I really didn't mean to cause so much controversy in the post earlier this week about Michael. This blog is all about my journey as a new Catholic, and part of that journey is to figure out how to best juxtapose my new beliefs onto my existing life. Michael's commitment ceremony is part of that.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback on the comments section, and hope that I haven't upset too many people from the post.

Oh, and the way I got uninvited from the wedding is that my husband made a comment about the groom-to-be that the bride-to-be did not approve of in his weekly podcast (he said that our friend quitting a band a week before they got signed was ... let's just say that my husband called that a stupid decision) and the bride-to-be got on my husband's blog and made terribly tacky comments about my husband, his show and my personal life and friends that were completely uncalled for. Then she uninvited us to the wedding.

It's a shame, really. He was one of my oldest friends, and the comment was not a direct insult to him but saying that his actions were not the smartest. No, we don't know the whole story behind why the friend left the band, but instead of calling us out on his comment or trying to discuss the misunderstanding like adults, we were berated in a public forum by his girlfriend which is just way too 8th grade for my tastes. I was really looking forward to getting them a fondue set for their present, too.

9 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Mary Sue said...

I know I'm going to get yelled at, but I think that being a friend to Michael, and thereby exposing him to Catholicisim and the love of Christ, is better than going after him with a Bible in one hand and a Catechisim in the other and berating 'teh gay' out of him.

(But I'm just a heathen Episcopalian, so what do I know?)

Hey, did you buy the fondue set yet? You totally should keep it for yourself, and then have lots of fondue goodness.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger DB said...

No, but it did cross my mind to buy the biggest thing on their registry, and then return it but not add it back into the registry. So they'd be like, "Whoo hoo! Someone bought the microwave! .... wait, where's our microwave?" But I'm too Christian for that. However, I am not too Christian to dream of mean things that I might consider doing if I didn't love Christ so much.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

I'm confused - you keep referring to "she," but I thought this was a gay wedding. Are you uninvited to Michael's wedding and are you no longer friends?

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger DB said...

Sorry, I didn't make that super clear. Wedding #1 is a committment ceremony between my best friend Michael and his boyfriend. Wedding #2, the one we got uninvited to, was the one between the boy and girl who decided they didn't want us to come anymore. That's the story told in this post.

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Sister Mary Hasta (and I am a pure RC breed, for what it's worth). I probably would not attend, but hey - it's your conscience, your decision, and I am pretty sure you didn't make it an easy one. Never forget praying for him, and always be his friend!

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk to a priest you know and trust. Also, check out the Courage website.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger monogodo said...

She made the commitment to being there prior to becoming Catholic. What would it say about her were she to break her word to her friend?

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger monogodo said...

Let's put it this way:

You're getting married. Two weeks before your wedding, your best friend, whom you asked to stand up for you as your best man/maid of honor 6 months earlier, informs you that they can no longer perform that service for you because their belief system changed, and they no longer agree with what you're doing. How do you react? Honestly.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger DB said...

Bonnie,

Your comment was deleted because it used language that I do not approve of on my blog.

The subject is dropped. You have made it clear your feelings for us. Point taken. Please do not use foul language on my blog again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home