Thursday, February 16

Mormon Memories - Pre-Blessed Food

LDS temple


When I was young, I'd go to the LDS Dallas Temple to do baptisms for the dead. Because many people travel long distances to perform temple ordinances, and stay at the temple all day, they have a cafeteria in the temple for the convenience of the patrons. I actually was in the ward with the Temple Cook in high school. He was from Hawaii, and every time he'd bear his testimony on Fast and Testimony Sunday, he'd start it with a big "A-LOOOOOO-Ha!"

Anyway, so we kids loved eating at the temple because the food was "pre-blessed". There was even a sign on the wall that said so. So we didn't have to say a prayer over the food, it was already blessed! How handy is that?!?

The reason I thought of this is because I was at the RCIA retreat, and when I got the food, one of my first thoughts was, "I wonder if this food is pre-blessed?"

Another thing about Mormon food blessings that used to crack me up is that we'd be standing over a table of burgers, fries and Cokes at some fast food joint on our way home from the trip, and we'd all pray, "Dear Heavenly Father, please bless this food that it will strengthen and nourish our bodies so that we may do your will." Yeah, right, a Big Mac is really going to strengthen our bodies.

1 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Joel said...

I know it's a little late to comment on this, but it occurs to me that blessing a Coke might be iffy as well, given its questionable permissibility under the Word of Wisdom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home