Thursday, February 16

Learning how to walk again

Yesterday we were having a wonderful lesson in our RCIA class where we were learning about the sacrament of Reconciliation. They're covering this one a lot in our class because it's kind of an important one.

Someone asked if there was an unforgiveable sin, and Deacon L said that Sin against the Holy Ghost was one. Someone asked what it was, and I started to raise my hand. "I know this one!" I thought. And then I realized - no, I didn't. I know the "Mormon" definition of Sin against the Holy Ghost.

The Mormon definition of Sin against the Holy Ghost is having an undisputable witness of the truthfulness of God, and turning your back on that truth. For example, if an angel was to visit me and I was to deny the existance of that angel, that would be a sin against the Holy Ghost.

Now, that gets trickier than it sounds. The main witness to members of the Mormon church in regards to the gospel is a sensation called the "burning in the bosom" (which I've talked about in a previous post). But to have that testament from God, to have that burning and that testimony of the truth and then to deny it, or in other words, to be a member of the church with a testimony and then to leave the church, is a HUGE sin. It's a Sin against the Holy Ghost.

Now, all of this ran through my head, before I realized that I knew the wrong definition of the word. There are so many things I'm having to totally relearn. People ask me if I've been baptized and I always say Yes, but I really haven't because the Mormon baptism doesn't count. The Trinitarian God is quite different from the Mormon God.

A lady in class mentioned that during the Baptism ceremony, the bishop asks a series of faith questions that we have to answer. She suggested we talk about those in class, because we want to make sure that we answer the questions correctly and that we know what is coming. I hope I answer the questions right and don't give a "Mormon" answer. I think they're all yes/no questions though. I don't think they're essay questions or anything. :)

2 Comments:

At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pope John Paul II had a very good discussion on the sin against the Holy Spirit in his encyclical Dominum et Vivificantem. He described it thus: "...'blasphemy' does not properly consist in offending against the Holy Spirit in words; it consists rather in the refusal to accept the salvation which God offers to man through the Holy Spirit, working through the power of the Cross." In other words, the unforgivable sin (blasphemy against the Holy Spirit) is the refusal to repent and accept God's forgiveness. John Paul devoted a whole section to the subject, which you can read on the Vatican web site here.

The questions the priest will ask during the Baptism rite are not a quiz; the purpose of them is for you to assert your rejection of sin and your embrace of the teachings of the Catholic Church, into which you wish to be baptized. There are two sets of questions. The first begins with these or similar words, "Do you renounce Satan, and all his works, and all his empty promises?" to which you answer, "I do." The other begins, "Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth?" All Catholics renew their baptismal vows during the Easter Mass by answering those same questions.

God bless you in your journey. I will pray for you!

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more I read of your blog, the more amazed I am. Your faith in our beautiful Church, and your desire to be Catholic astounds me. Your knowledge of the Mormon church impresses me. (I wish more Catholics would take the catechism so seriously as Jo Mormon!)
I really think you should write a book.
Drinking it all in......
Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home