Thursday, December 22

Veiling

I've been reading a lot about wearing a veil to church. It's apparently a sign of submission to God. It has something to do with covering your hair being respectful. I don't quite understand why I have to cover my head.

I can understand the symbolism of being submissive to God, but why is is a pious thing to do? I've been reading about it and commenting about it on the Catholic board I go to.

There are a couple of women who wear a veil at St. Jude's, including my friend L. She wears this gorgeous long mantilla. She also wears very conservative clothes and when I first saw her, I was sure she was some kind of nun. She's a very spiritual lady.

When I feel comfortable with it, I might consider it. But it still kind of rubs me the wrong way about the part that Paul says about veiling, where the man is the glory of God, and woman is the glory of Man. I don't understand that and I haven't found something online that gives me a reason that doesn't sound terribly sexist.

3 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI! I first read your notes on Steve Ray's Defender's page. 'Fr. C' is a dear friend of mine- my family knew him as a friar before his ordination, and grew to love him as a family member in Houston.
Thank you for your words.
I will be praying for you as your grow in the Faith!

Here are a few articles on the web about the veil. My daughters and I do wear veils. These articles are long, but there may be something in one of them that speaks to you.

Blessings and peace to you, may you have a Merry Christmas, and perhaps we will meet the next time I am in Dallas visiting Fr. Celio.!

Linda
celticcherokee@gmail.com


http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com/Unveiled%20Woman.htm

http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/theveil.html

http://www.sacramentals.com/sacramentals.org/MotherPointofView.htm

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger DB said...

Thank you for your comment and the links! Celtic Cherokee, huh? Sounds like me, I'm a registered card-carrying member of the Cherokee Nation, but I'm also covered with freckles from my Adair and Irish heritage.

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm so glad to see your journey to Catholicism :)

One of the most beautiful and chivalrous reasons I ever heard for wearing a veil is that we cover what is precious. That is really true in Catholicsm! If you've been to the Latin Mass, you've noticed the veil over the chalice. The Blessed Sacrament has a canopy over it when carried in procession. Sometimes, tabernacles are veiled.

Just a thought :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home