Tuesday, March 7

My Lent Thus Far

I made a few pledges to myself for Lent. These are the things I decided I would do to celebrate Lent and the status of my progress:

1) As a sacrifice, I would give up all drinks but water and juice. I decided to keep juice because sometimes my blood sugar drops fast, and juice makes me feel better quickly.

I've been doing very well on this, I haven't cheated one bit. I've found that for the first time in a few months, I don't get dreadfully drowsy after lunch and after eating when I drink water instead of Coke. I guess the Coke was messing up my system pretty bad. I'm not sure if it was the corn syrup or the caffeine. I'm thinking it might be the caffeine because a lot of times I would drink iced tea with sugar for lunch and still get really drowsy. I'll keep you posted on how this goes.

I didn't realize how much of a sacrifice this was really going to be. Ever tried having Oreos and Water? Or a big juicy burger, fries with yummy ketchup, and water? Taco Bell and Apple Juice? So many things taste better with Coke. And most sweets taste MUCH better when washed down with a nice cold glass of milk. It's been quite an adjustment, but it's also been much better for my health.

2) Spend time with the Blessed Sacrament each day (either in Mass, or at a Blessed Sacrament Chapel) and read the scriptures for the Mass each day if I can't get to Mass.

Well, last week went Ok, but my headaches have been so bad the last couple of days that my head has felt like it was going to explode. I didn't attend mass or do reading or pray or anything yesterday but suffer. I didn't even go to work yesterday - I think I was (and still am) doing some detoxing. Today, I listened to Mass on EWTN Radio on the way to work, but I didn't go to spend time with the Blessed Sacrament or attend Mass at Holy Family of Nazareth like I usually do on Tuesdays. My head just hurt too bad after work, so I went straight home and took some medicine and laid down for a bit. But I do plan on reading the mass readings and saying a Divine Mercy before I go to bed. Then tomorrow hopefully I will be back on track.

3) Say a Divine Mercy Chaplet every day

I've done this every day except for yesterday. I'll say one before I go to bed each night.

I debated between doing a Divine Mercy or a Rosary each day. Both have their benefits. But I feel like the Divine Mercy is more in tune with my personal mission of repentance before Easter and getting to know Christ and God more personally this Lenten season, so I picked that. For me, it is so easy to get into a spiritual groove saying the Divine Mercy chaplet. It's a little harder with the Rosary - I get so ADD when I say it sometimes. But I've never had problems staying focused with the Divine Mercy chaplet. So I figure for now, I'll stick with what works. Maybe I'll work on the Rosary after Lent.

4) For an additional reading, read the Magnificat Lenten Companion each day

This has been VERY helpful! The reading ties in with the Gospel of Mass usually, and I've been getting a lot out of this.


So that's my Lent thus far. I'm doing my best to be spiritually prepared for Easter. I just can't wait! I'm so excited about getting bapitzed. I need to put the information up on my site so that if anyone wants to come, they can come. I'm hoping a few friends show up. That's a big day for me!

3 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Yes! Don't forget to tell us when it is.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

Oh no! I just saw your sidebar baptism announcement. You're getting baptised the same day that our friends Kurt and Meredith are getting married in Austin. Crap crap crap.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Vajra said...

I gave up coffee for Lent several seasons ago. Before that I'd been quite proud of myself because I'd weaned myself to two then on double latte per day. I decided to put the money into the rice bowls that our parish provided for lenten sacrifices. At the end of lent, I had more than $120.00 to contribute to feeding the needy! I did that for several years. Gradually I weaned myself from coffee entirely. And now it's just a special treat when I go out with my sweetheart or friends. Result? No more headaches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home