Friday, March 10

St Jude, Pray for us

RCIA on Wednesday was pretty good. Deacon L wasn't able to make it, so MA was the sole teacher. They were supposed to teach about the sacrament of marriage, but since only one of them was there, they decided to wait. We ended up talking about the rosary and praying together. It was quite interesting. There were people in our class who had never prayed a Rosary before, which surprised me.

Also, we got to officially submit our confirmation name to the sacramental record keeping office. Mine is going to be Mary Magdalen Jude. I'm really excited about it. I'm reading a book on Jude right now, called Jude : A Pilgrimage to the Saint of Last Resort by Liz Trotta. I've been going to St. Jude Chapel ever since I first decided to explore the Catholic church, and this book explains a lot of customs that I didn't understand about what happens at St. Jude. For example, at the end of every mass there, we pray a Perpetual Novena to St. Jude. I didn't realize how poplular St. Jude novenas really are.

One of the lines in that prayer says, "I promise to tell others to call on your name" or something like that. I am really beginning to understand the interesing lore behind St. Jude worship. I'm truly grateful to him for all of the things that he has helped me with since starting my conversion. Maybe I'll get me a St. Jude metal and wear that all the time. I think that might be a good thing for me as thanks for his intercession.

4 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger Carlos said...

Two things,
we don't Worship St. Jude, we only worship God. We venerate the saints, that is hold them up as examples of righteous, holy people whom we should look up to as models.

Secondly, I hope when you're done with the book you can post your thoughts on it. It looks interesting.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of the St Jude chapel, how is Fr. C doing? I'm anxious to hear.
blessings to you
celticcherokee@gmail.com

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger ukok said...

As a convert myself I can appreciate that this is a very exciting time for you! I'm glad you have chosen your Confirmation name :-)

God Bless.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger DB said...

Seeker:

You are right. We don't worship Jude as Catholics, we simply venerate him as one of the faithful. However, in the book, they show both what we would consider to be "normal" Jude veneration as well as the extremes of what can only be described as Jude worship. I'll explain more when I finish the book and do a review.

Confessinator:

I have not seen the new show on polygamy yet, but I'm dreadfully anxious to see how the Salt Lake church responds to the publicity. From what I understand, so far they are not too keen on the show.

Ukok:

Thanks for your comments!

CelticCherokee:

I sent you an e-mail, but Fr. Celio is in much better health and will be back to the Chapel VERY soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home