Friday, April 14

Holy Thursday and Good Friday

I spent all day yesterday at the Notre Dame school. It was more rewarding that I could have imagined. I pray that a position opens up there so that I can serve the students. I got to help the middle school grades in their social studies class, which was very interesting. I also talked to the principal and she seemed positive about the interview, so we'll have to see.

I went to Holy Thursday service at the Cathedral. I was sitting with Nancy, one of the sponsors in my class, and she said that normally the group chosen to have their feet washed is both men and women. But this is the first year, she said, that the Bishop selected all men to have their feet washed, including a little baby. There was a set of twins who were taking their first communion during the Mass, and they looked very cute in matching white dresses and tiaras.

Today, Good Friday, has been much more exhausting that I would have thought. I have truly been fasting today, with no food or drink since I've woken up this morning. I started my day with the Morning Prayers from Liturgy of the Hours, and then I took a shower and got to the Chapel early. I spent time praying and reading until Mass started. And I'm so glad I went to the Chapel. They had six Dominican priests there, and they were all wearing their white albs and garments, with a black cape over it and a red stole over the whole outfit. It was very neat looking. The Dominicans all read the different parts the Gospel, and it was as moving as Sunday's gospel was.

Veneration of the Cross was extremely moving for me. It was the first time I have gotten up with everyone and done something at the front of the church. It was very humbling to kneel in front of the Cross and to touch it. When I went back to my pew, I was very choked up.

After the service was over, I stayed in my pew and read the Passion in all four gospels. I also prayed a lot, and read other things from the Magnificat and the Dolorous Passion of the Christ. I imagined myself to be waiting as my patron saint, Mary Magdalene, waited, suffering along with Christ, and waiting for the agony to end. At 3p, one of the Dominican seminarians, Dominic, led us in the Stations of the Cross. It was a set of prayers put together by St. Alphonsus Liguori, and revised by Thomas M. Santa, C.SS.R. At the end of almost every station, the prayer said, "I love you, Jesus my love, with all my heart, and I repent of ever having offended you. Grant that I may love you always, and then do with me as you will." I thought that was very beautiful.

Tonight, after eating a decent dinner because I am seriously hungry, I have to go shopping for things for tomorrow. I need to pick up a pair of waterproof shoes to wear after I get baptized, so that I don't ruin a pair of shoes by dripping baptism water all over them. I also need to get a white t-shirt to wear for underneath my purple gown. I would like to find a nice white blouse and black skirt to wear after the baptism, for the confirmation. If I don't get chrism oil all over it, I could even wear it again which would be nice. I want to get gift certificates for my teachers for a dinner and a movie, because they've spent so many nights helping us I thought they deserved a night for just the two of them. I need to get some cash for the offering during the Easter Vigil. I'd like to get some nice cards for my sponsor and my friend Nancy, who have been so helpful in my RCIA process. Oh, and I would like to get a white satin clip for my hair, if I can find a white shirt to wear. I'll have to pull it back after I get baptized. I think I might just get baptized with my hair in a ponytail, and then just brush it again when I get back in the back to change out of the wet clothes.

I'm getting baptized tomorrow. Wow.

2 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Vajra said...

Welcome. Welcome. Welcome. The body of Christ will embrace you and his grace will shine within you. Alleluia! Alleluia!

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God give you peace on the day of your rebirth. I'll be glad to have you as a sister.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home