Tuesday, May 16

Opus Dei - The new Kabbalah?

MSNBC has a very amusing tongue-in-cheek article online called Forget Scientology, how about Opus Dei, suggesting that Opus Dei might be the new trendsetter religion. Here's an exerpt:

Style watchers are tired of the same old fringe faiths. We cry out for our celebrities to adopt a hip new opium — something to fill up entertainment magazine side-bars, launch accessory trends, and inspire prime time investigations. But what group could possibly have enough hype and heft to usurp behemoths like Scientology and Kabbalah as the next great religious movement of the rich and famous? My money is on Opus Dei.

Full Article

EDIT: I just wanted to make something clear. I don't think this article is funny because Opus Dei is so wacky. I think this article is amusing due to the fact that it pokes fun at the nature of Hollywood's elite and their tendancies to flock around the Religion de Jour.

One of the good things about "The DaVinci Code" coming out as a movie is that it has forced Opus Dei to come out into the open to explain itself as the pious, and rather boring, entity that it is. As far as I can tell, while there may be some abuses in the system as there is in any institutionalized organization, there is in no way any murdering Albinos or any other activity going on that is way out of line with Catholic teachings. It is simply a basic path of fellowship and action, filled with piety and direction towards God.

6 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger DB said...

I have seen that article - which is why I went ahead and edited my original post. I didn't want my readers to think that I'm anti-Opus Dei or anything.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger littlemissattitude said...

Thanks for the link. I think you're exactly right about the article - it is making fun of celebrities, not Opus Dei.

However, I hope the writer is wrong about one thing. I hope Kevin and Britney stay together - we don't want Kevin back here in Fresno. :)

lma

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Vajra said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Vajra said...

What is meant by the term "Hollywood elite?"

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger DB said...

Vajra,

It is referring to people like Tom Cruise, John Travolta, etc. who are into Scientology; Madonna, Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, Britney Spears, etc. who practice Kabbalah, and other people who jump on "trendy" religion bandwagons.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Vajra said...

Thanks for the explanation. I often get caught up in definitions because I'm not always in the know about popular culture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home