Thursday, January 26

I wrote the letter, but will I have the nerve to send it?

Written with much help from the Mormon No More web site

Member Records, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

Dear Sirs:

This letter is my formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and it is effective immediately. I hereby withdraw my consent to being treated as a member and I withdraw my consent to being subject to church rules, policies, beliefs and “discipline”. As I am no longer a member, I want my name permanently and completely removed from the membership rolls of the church.

I have given this resignation considerable thought, and have done much research and contemplation to help me reach this very personal decision. I understand what you consider the “seriousness” and the “consequences” of my actions. I am aware that the church handbook says that my resignation “cancels the effects of baptism and confirmation, withdraws the priesthood held by a male member and revokes temple blessings”. I also understand that I will be “readmitted to the church by baptism only after a thorough interview”. (quotes taken from the current Church Handbook of Instructions) I will not be dissuaded and I will not change my mind on this matter.

Also effective immediately, I expect absolutely no contact from the church, with the exception of a single letter of confirmation to let me know that I am no longer listed as a member of the church.

For clarification, the definition of “no contact” specifically includes no home visits - no missionaries, no visiting teachers, no home teachers, no priesthood leaders, no Relief Society leaders - no members of the church at all should make an attempt to visit me at my home. I also expect no phone calls to my personal cell number by any of these people. I am fully aware of my legal rights and will not hesitate to procure legal aid if I am contacted in any way by members of the church or if my confidentiality in this resignation is violated.

My resignation should be processed immediately, and should be handled without the standard 30-day “waiting period”. There should be no delay whatsoever in processing this resignation from either the central administrative membership office or the local church leadership.

I expect this matter to be handled promptly, with respect and with full confidentiality.

Sincerely,


Effulgent

5 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger Trent_Dougherty said...

Wow! That is hard-core! I'm sure it has to be though, given the tenacity of Mormon missionaries.

I feel really luckey to have found your blog at this time as I am currently surrounded by Mormons at my new home: neighbors on both sides and across both streets!

God bless you!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger DB said...

It's not only the missionaries that are hard-core, the members can be rather tenacious as well. You have to remember, though, that they're convinced they're saving your soul with all of their "love bombing".

On the Mormon No More web site (linked on my blog), they talk about how the Mormon church fights the resignation with everything they have most of the time. They can pull some dirty tricks. So its best to be firm and know that you're not going to be putting up with it.

If you would like to learn more about the Mormon religion and what it truly believes, there are some great links on my blog. All of these links are done by ex-Mormons who really know what they're talking about (as opposed to evangelicals who have never been members). I would highly recommend these sites and trust their recommendations for links as well.

God be with you in your travels today!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Carlos said...

What you have done takes alot of courage! I admire you! I also admire your courage in undertaking the search for Truth, and not just sitting complacently by. My prayers are with you! Incidentally, I think its great that St. Jude is one of your patron saints, he's certainly my favorite saint! j

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope some day my wife will be writing a similar letter. As for now I'm stuck going to sacrament meeting every other week, and she comes to mass every other week.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowza! I had no idea this is such an ordeal. May God grant you all the strength you require for the task at hand. It's very admirable!

Tex

 

Post a Comment

<< Home